Translate

Friday, June 13, 2014

Birthdays

Today is my wife's birthday. She's 35 today and is fine with that. A lot of people start to freak when they hit these little "milestones" in age. Truth be told, like the old saying goes, you're only as old as you feel.
For instance, when one of those favorite songs comes on the radio you'll move around. No matter what the age, you'll move. Especially if you're in a car, safe in that invisible cocoon of leather and steering wheel. Just a note though, those clear things all around you are called "windows" and we can all see you.
But it doesn't matter, because something has taken hold and you no longer feel your age. You're now as young as you were when you first heard that song and just as dumb. The song has transcended the years on you. You are now as young as you feel.
So, are you at a party getting your first kiss? Maybe you're with some great friends you've lost contact with over the years. Or maybe you're driving around through the old neighborhood, laughing and joking when the same song came on the radio. Whatever it is, you were younger then and through the magic of music, you're younger now.
Birthdays are also a sign of maturity in some cases. Or at least some people think so. We've all heard the stern lecture of "You're 21 now and it's time to act like an adult." What in the hell does that mean???
Lets see, you've spent the last few years in serious school...you know, the one where you actually learn stuff that might be useful...I'd say that was pretty adult. All things considered, that was your job and you did it. Yeah, you also played beer pong, went to or joined in wet t-shirt competitions and most likely smoked some funny stuff. Is that acting childish or just unwinding from work like the old folks do with their beers and martinis at the weekend parties?
Often times, life is likened to a highway...there's even a song that says so...and each birthday is a road marker. There are lots of other metaphors that keep that trend going. Don't burn your bridges behind you, don't blow a gasket,  don't live life in the fast lane...the list goes on and on. Maybe the thing is, life actually is a road.
The secret is, don't pay so much attention to the road. It's not the kind of road where you crash and burn. All the dangerous stuff...and the great stuff is along the side of the road. Focus on the scenery instead of the asphalt.
Unless you're so old that you're on a dirt road. Then you still have to watch out for stones because they can trip you up. I'm getting to that spot now. I told you my wife was 35 today. In September, I'll be 60. Yes, I got lucky and had a young girl fall in love with me. But before you envy me too much, allow me a moment. Young wives are great, but in rushing headlong into it, most of us forget something very important. Young wives can still get pregnant!
My Girls
Yes, we can still make children even though our body is no longer equipped to deal with them. But children have this great effect on older fathers like me. They make you feel young and alive while they slowly kill you. It's very euphoric you know.
My little one has me attending tea parties and judging fashion shows with stuffed animals. All manageable and easy on the back. She also wants to run around the playground and go down slides and swing. Not so easy on the back.
She's four now which means she has an attitude developing and being who I am, it's not turning out good. She refers to the cat as "her bitch"...not the best of terms, I'll give you that...but much better than what she calls drivers that honk their horns when Mom is driving too slow.
Being four, she also knows when to run. The nemesis for older fathers like me. Luckily I have no problems in tripping her as she streaks off.

So the bottom line is, like they say...you're as young as you feel. My wife doesn't feel as if she's stumbled over some invisible road marker that turned her towards middle age. My daughter doesn't count because her life is still nothing but Barbies, My Little Pony and M&Ms. She doesn't even know she's driving down a road yet.
As for me, I've figured it out and have somehow reversed the age problem. When I first met my wife I was 50 and she was 25. She was half my age. Now, she's 35 but I'm not quite 60. See? She's not even close to being half my age anymore. Somehow, I'm managing to leech life away from her while slowing down my advance. Before you know it, she'll be 50 and I'll be 75 and will have cut her down from 50% to a mere 25%. If I live long enough, she'll eventually be older than me.
And when she does pass me on the road of life I'll be sure to smile and wave...but I won't honk the horn. I don't want my daughter to let me know what she thinks of my driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment